Tools Library


Tools Library

Billing FAQ

What do I do if a payment is not reflected on my billing statement?

We may have received the payment after the billing date of the statement. Student Center and Cashnet Recent Activity will reflect payments applied to date. If payment is not reflected, please check with your bank to verify whether the check has been cashed. If it has been cashed, please send us a copy of the canceled check, front and back, so that we can research the payment

How does the Cornell Installment Plan work?

The Cornell Installment Plan (CIP), administered by Cashnet, enables students and their families to make interest-free monthly installments to pay each semester's tuition and expenses.

You determine how much you need to budget for tuition, housing, dining, etc. for the fall and spring semesters. Once enrolled, your budget amount will be credited to your Bursar account.

You repay your CIP in monthly installments for the budgeted amount credited on your fall and spring Bursar bill. Your actual monthly payments do not appear on your Bursar bill. They are reflected in Cashnet's monthly billing statements and in the records of your Tuition Pay plan account. You are responsible for paying any amounts remaining due on your Bursar account separately after the CIP credit has been applied, including amounts still due if you underestimated your Tuition Pay plan budget.

Whom do I contact with questions about my bill?

If you have questions about your bill, please call the department who placed the charge on the bill (e.g., Housing, Dining). A full list of unit contact information is available on the Billing Procedures page. If you are unsure of the unit, contact Bursar Account Services, and we will direct you to the appropriate unit.

Why isn't my sponsor's payment appearing on my bursar bill?

Cornell University must receive a letter from the student's sponsor stating he, she, or they will be remitting payment on behalf of the student. When we receive the letter, a credit will be placed on the student's Bursar account and we will bill the sponsor directly. For more information, see our Third-Party Billing page.

Where do I change my address?

Students must maintain their addresses using Student Center.

Why did I receive a 1098-T or 1098-E from the university?

Cornell University is required to generate these forms for tax purposes. For more information, please visit the Tax website.

What is tuition insurance?

The Elective Tuition Refund Plan (i.e., tuition insurance) is an elective insurance plan offered on a semester basis only. The insurance covers 85% of the insured semester's tuition, less any refund or credit due you from the university, provided your medical condition is certified by a licensed physician and forces you to withdraw completely from all classes for the balance of the semester.

What is the Academic Materials Program Fee?

The Cornell Academic Materials Program gives undergraduate students taking undergraduate courses at Cornell access to their required textbooks and coursepacks for a single flat-rate cost of $225 per semester. Students are automatically enrolled in the program.

All materials are provided in a digital format within Canvas and become available for students no later than the first day of classes. 

Read more about how the program works, its benefits, and find answers to frequently asked questions on the Cornell Academic Materials Program website.

What is a pending credit?

“Pending credit” refers to aid that has been included in the student’s financial aid package but has not been disbursed as of the date of the bill. Pending credits for financial aid are removed from the bill each semester in October (for fall) and March (for spring). Once this happens, students must contact the appropriate financial aid office to resolve any pending items.

Why isn't work-study listed on the bill?

Federal work-study is paid directly to the student based on the hours worked.


What is an activity fee?

The activity fee is required to cover student activities. For more information, please contact Student Leadership, Engagement & Campus Office.

How do I get verification of student enrollment?

Verification of student enrollment may be obtained by calling the National Student Clearing House in Virginia at (703) 742-7791, or by emailing them at Data is verified either electronically or by paper. You may also request verification online from the Office of the University Registrar, B7 Day Hall.

What do I do if I have a hold on my account or diploma?

A student who has a hold will not be permitted to enroll for the upcoming semester or receive a diploma until all holds have been cleared. Students can see hold information on Student Center.

My parents just moved to New York State. Do I qualify for resident tuition?

An application for New York State residency is available here on our website. If you have further questions regarding your application, please contact our office at (607) 255-2336 between 10:00 a.m. and 4:00 p.m.

I have been notified by my bank that my check to Cornell University has been returned. What do I need to do?

Checks returned for nonpayment must be replaced with a certified check or money order. Consult our Returned Payment Policy for information on fees.