Tools Library


Tools Library


Delinquent Bursar/CornellCard Repayment

You are reporting my student loan as delinquent to the credit bureaus erroneously. How can I dispute that?

You can do so by contacting any of the four credit bureaus directly. Once you submit your dispute, ECSI will be contacted to verify the accuracy of the information. They will then inform the credit bureaus if any changes are needed.

I'm currently enrolled in school elsewhere. Can my student loans be deferred?

If you are enrolled full-time, you may be eligible for school deferment (Federal NDSL loans are eligible for deferment at half-time status). In order to have your student loans deferred, you must submit a Student Loan Deferment form to ECSI.

I sent a school deferment last year. Do I need to do another one?

Yes, you must submit in-school deferments for each year in which you are eligible if your school does not report to the National Student Clearinghouse. You can download and complete the necessary deferment form and send it to ECSI.

Can I consolidate my student loans?

You can consolidate federal loans by contacting any of the consolidation companies available. However, most lenders will not accept private loans with Cornell University. You should check with the various lenders available to determine which loans may be included.

Note: By consolidating of federal student loans, you forfeit the cancellation benefits as outlined in your promissory notes.

Although Cornell University does not endorse any specific lender for consolidation, information regarding loan consolidation companies is available on our Student Loan Resources page.

What payment methods do you accept?

Currently, we receive payments by mail in the form of a check or money order. Employees of the university may elect to use payroll deduction by filling out the Collections Payroll Deduction form and returning it to our office. For delinquent bursar, CornellCard and student loan accounts, payments can be made through ECSI.

Is my balance in collections preventing me from receiving any services at Cornell?

Yes, university services including registration, leave of absence, retroactive registration, and diplomas are withheld until payment in full is received.

What charges and fees have been assessed on my account?

In accordance with the financial responsibility agreement that each student is required to sign, finance charges are assessed on a monthly basis at 1.25% (15% annually) on all bursar and CornellCard accounts. In addition, accounts are imposed a collection fee once they become 75 days or more past due and referred to the collection department. Student loans accrue interest and late fees at the rates stated in the original promissory note.

In the event that the Collections office deems an account uncollectible, the account may be referred to an outside agency. At such time, additional collection and/or legal fees will be assessed by the collection agency. Fees may range from 25% to 45% of the total balance due. As the account holder, you are responsible for these fees.

How do I dispute a parking fine in collections?

Per Transportation Services, you have 30 days to appeal any tickets from the date the ticket was issued. If your ticket is already in collections, the appeal deadline has passed.

Is my past due account being reported the credit bureaus?

Cornell University reports all student loans to all four national credit bureaus monthly. All other accounts are not reported to the credit bureaus until they are deemed uncollectible by the collections office and referred to an outside collection agency.